Wednesday, July 1, 2015

Shogun #2

I'm still not close to finishing this book.  I just passed the 400 page mark and got a bit discouraged.  As with any novel this long, there are parts that feel like a desert.  I remember reading Anna Karenina and thinking all that writing about Levin mowing was just put in there to test your mettle and see if you're worthy enough to finish such a long book.  I'm in a stretch like that right now and I'm waiting to see if I'm worthy.

For me, the boat information in Shogun is my challenge.  I have no idea what a "fore poop" is and I don't intend to learn.  I don't know my aft from my fore and it is making this part dry and boring.

Some people may see this as a chance to expand one's knowledge of boats and sailing.  Not me.  I just want to get through these parts to get back to the Japanese history (which I recently learned is mostly true, just with a few name changes) and the tension of foreigner in an unwelcoming land.

While I'm sure Shogun is an important read, I wouldn't say the writing is lovely.  It is well written but not beautifully written.  I don't find myself underlining passages or trying to work any passages into a facebook status update because of their deep meaning.

I read The Thornbirds earlier this year and I can see similarities between these two books (other than that Richard Chamberlain played the main character in the mini series).  Both authors tell a story well.  The characters are carefully crafted and dynamic and you learn something about the land in which the novel is set.  But neither book is a classic.  Maybe Shogun will change my mind sometime in the next 670 pages but I doubt it.


No comments:

Post a Comment