I love vacation reading. Especially when the vacation involves the beach. Coming home with books filled with sand and pages slightly damaged from being thrown in a beach bag with wet towels is my favorite.
On my very first trip to Kauai with my husband's family I took Life of Pi. I remember coming home and missing the tranquility of beach days and just flipping through the pages of that book, the texture taking me back.
Over the course of the last 11 years we had four kids. They changed our beach trips dramatically. Gone were the days of actually reading on the beach or even having enough energy to stay up and read in bed. I still lugged multiple books across the country but I barely cracked even one while we were away.
This year, all of my kids can swim. They all play pretty well together and with their cousins. We won't be telling anyone to stop eating sand (I hope) and there will be no rushing to the car to take care of a messy diaper. This year, I will read on the beach.
I'm still not done with Shogun yet. But I'm getting closer. In the next week I will make a big push to finish it up but if I'm not finished before we leave I may leave it at home. I like the idea of starting and finishing at least one book while I'm away.
On my packing list are:
The Boys in the Boat
Paper Towns (for my other blog, because I have seen so many tweens reading it)
As Chimney Sweepers Come to Dust
What are you taking on vacation? What should I add to my list?
No comments:
Post a Comment