I gave up kindle reading in favor of physical books right after that purchase. The old technology didn't lend itself well to highlighting or flipping around. It was clunky and I didn't like it.
Then, we were visiting my parents' house for Thanksgiving this year. I, dutifully, have the kindle app on my phone, like any good book lover would. Just in case. And, while we were away, I wanted to stay up and read a bit but forgot my book light. I pulled out my phone to see what books were loaded on my app and found The Other Typist.
Perfect, I thought. A book I wasn't terribly invested in but curious about and a book I could read in the dark while my husband slept.
And you know what? It was perfect. I got invested in the book on that trip so I started reading it regularly on my phone. Naturally, my husband and kids made fun of me reading a novel on such a small screen, but I didn't care. I wanted to finish and I loved the way it kept track of how much time you had left and what percentage I had finished.
With Christmas coming, I added a kindle to my wish list. My husband looked at me exasperated, "I already got your gift. It's only a few days until Christmas." I promised I really didn't want one and with my birthday coming in February I could just get a kindle then.
However, on Christmas morning I was surprised to find a kindle under the tree. My kids had heard my wish and used their allowances to get it for me (this made it even better).
They got me the paper-white model which is the one I wanted. Not too fancy. Just reading. I didn't want to have to swipe it away from my five year old every ten minutes like a phone or ipad.
Because of this story, I will always have a fond place in my heart for The Other Typist. It's not fabulous Literature, but it was a fine story about a young woman who gets mixed up in some shady business in 1920's NYC.
There were moments of frustration because Rose seems so dumb and unaware. At times I wanted to shake her. She works as a typist in a police department and a handsome, young Lieutenant Detective clearly likes her, but she is rude and cold to him, thinking he likes her shady friend, Odalie.
This is the kind of book where I don't want to give away too much, but I will say, that some of Rose's dimwittedness could be from her condition at the end of the book, as she is retelling this story. We are supposed to have an unreliable narrator so at the conclusion we question some of the events and impressions in her narrative.
This book would make a good vacation read. It doesn't require a lot of thought or focus and is mainly plot driven. It's not depressing (thank goodness!) but it does deal with the implosion of a few of it's characters. You may find yourself reaching for a dictionary, though. The author put words in that seem to show-off an extensive vocabulary. At first it was annoying and then I thought it was kind of funny in an unnecessary sort of way.
Give it a try next time you are away and looking for an engaging mystery.
No comments:
Post a Comment